web3 degrees of freedom
Web3 is not just technological or financial change. Builders are drawn to it because it enables degrees of freedom in multiple directions that we are just starting to wrap our heads around. This makes it possible to experiment in multiple directions that just wasn’t possible before. Some examples below
- Technology -> An alternate stack that is decentralized, censorship proof with financial incentives baked in.
- HR/organization -> Instead of just one model of modern HR/perf management/org building you can have a wide range of structures to get people to work together and be incentivized to do so.
- Governance/control -> governance driven by incentivized stakeholders in contrast to the current parties who drive decision making in big tech.
- Financial incentives -> instead of the classic options/RSUs model, a wide range of incentive mechanisms.
- Business models -> explore multiple new business models (play-to-earn! staking/yield/etc) as opposed to just ads and subscriptions.
We are just starting to explore the combinations of these (DAOs+play to earn! Decentralized Twitter!). By definition all of these are nascent and some may wind up collapsing back into their web2 equivalents but the ones that break out are going to be super fun to see.