This is a collection of good writing on technology strategy that has resonated with me over the years. "Business strategy" is an incredibly broad space with a lot of seminal works (Clayton Christensen's work for example) and no one page can hope to collect them all. This is meant as a cross-section of writing that has resonated with me and is biased towards the spaces I've worked on - consumer technology. Some of these are classic business frameworks/thinking applied in a modern context. Some of these are about capturing tech history in a way that illuminates strategic insights. And some of these are here just because I found them fun. I strongly suggest checking out the memos collection as that has a lot of great "strategy" writing as well. As always, if you have thoughts/additions drop me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. P.S This is work in progress. If you don't see your favorite writer/post, don't get mad - send me a note!
- Aggregation Theory - Ben Thompson
- "Loops" - lots of good writing on loops in consumer technology. This is one of the most interesting active spaces of study.
- Hierarchy of Engagement - Sarah Tavel
- Status as a Service - Eugene Wei
- 10 factors to consider when evaluating digital marketplaces - Bill Gurley
- What is Amazon - Zack Kanter
- Mission, Strategy and Tactics - Andrew Bosworth.
- Alex Zhu - Musical.ly/TikTok interview
- Matthew Ball on Disney-as-a-Service and Epic.
- Commoditizing your complements - Joel Spolsky
- Free parking and whole sale transfer pricing - Tren Griffin
- How to successfully launch a social networking development platform - Max Levchin
- The 10th anniversary of the iPad - a perspective from the Windows team - Steven Sinofsky
- What really happened with Windows Vista - Terry Crowley
- Thoughts on Flash - Steve Jobs
Classic/Other Business Strategy.
- Cable Cowboy _ Mark Robichaux John Malone bio
- 7 Powers - Hamilton Helmer
- Kochland - Christopher Leonard
- Alibaba - the House that Jack Ma built - Duncan Clark
- Software - Intimate Portrait of Larry Ellison and Oracle - Matthew Symonds
- Disneywar - James Stewart
- Innovator's Dilemma - Clayton Christensen
- Competition Demystified - Bruce Greenwald, Judd Kahn
- Five Forces - Michael Porter
- What is strategy - Michael Porter